FINAT Public Affairs Blog #2
FINAT UVFoodSafe taskforce, 4 December & 13 December
The FINAT UVFoodSafe taskforce convened to discuss the way forward for this initiative and the links to existing work done in the various national association an related industries. Having looked at documentation from VskE, ECMA and others, the group is now working to identify the gaps present in information for converters and the role FINAT can play in addressing these. A face-to-face meeting is scheduled beginning of January to ensure momentum is kept for this key initiative.
Food Contact Legislation
PIRA Plastics and Paper in contact with Food Conference, 5-7 December, Berlin
With three days of in-depth presentations on, amongst others, the upcoming EU measure on printed food contact materials, the German Mineral Oil Ordinance and differences in national legislation between different member states, the PIRA conference offered a wealth of information on food contact legislation. Expect highlights from the various presentations in the next FINAT newsletter.
ESVOC BREF STS, 12 December, Brussels
With the deadline for comments to the 1st draft of the updated BREF STS (Reference document for best available techniques for surface treatment using solvents) the 15th of December, this meeting was the last chance to harmonize input between the different sectors involved. While I was involved in the commenting process for other associations, the manufacturing of self-adhesive labels was not covered in the first draft, and thus, no comments were needed from FINAT’s side.
Upcoming meetings in Q1 2018
- 9 January UVFoodSafe meeting, UK
- 30 - 31 January ECHA REACH Stakeholder day, Helsinki
- 8 February CheMI platform meeting for Downstream Users under REACH, Brussels
- 28 February INGEDE Deinking Symposium, Munich
- 17 - 18 April CITPA meeting, Brussels
- End of 2017 Expected discussion paper on EU measure on printed food contact materials
- February 2018 Expected publication of 9th amendment of Plastics Regulation
- 31 May 2018 REACH registration deadline for chemicals imported or manufactured in(to) Europe between 1 and 100 t/a