Evonik to introduce Next Generation Plastic Solutions at K-Fair 2022
Evonik will present its latest sustainable solutions for the plastics and rubber industry during K 2022, 19-26 October in Dusseldorf, Germany. Using examples from its team’s children under its novel, ‘Next Generation Plastic Solutions’ concept, the specialty chemicals company’s experts will highlight how they are taking responsibility to ensure a better world for tomorrow’s generations by improving the performance, sustainability, and recyclability of Evonik’s products and enabling circular solutions for plastics.
“We sit at the center of so many different industry value chains, so our goal is to help transform these into smooth running circular economies to leave a sustainable world for future generations,” said Lauren Kjeldsen, Head of the Smart Materials Division, Evonik who will be a keynote speaker at a kunststoffland NRW event being held as a prelude to K 2022. Evonik’s investment commitment of €3 billion by 2030 for the transformation of its portfolio to Next Generation solutions will enable, among other initiatives, more sustainable processes and new business models that pave the way to a fully circular plastics economy.
The world’s leading event for the plastics and rubber industry provides the perfect platform to launch several of Evonik’s Next Generation Solutions and its “Global Circular Plastics Program”. In addition to showcasing its new sustainable high-performance polymers, specialty flame retardant additives, resource saving and eco-friendly silicas and silane solutions. Evonik will also present its advanced solutions for several plastics recycling technologies and the company’s development work into new sustainable business models.
“Demand for circular plastics is now growing faster than the market for virgin plastics, so it was vital for us to leverage our expertise to develop new solutions like our eCO grade products based on circular feedstocks,” said Ralf Düssel, Head of the High Performance Polymers business line. “With our Next Generation Solutions, we want to accelerate this growth even further by supporting the development of new business models with our ultimate goal to deliver solutions that increase the circularity of our own products such as for Polyamide 12."
Evonik established its group wide “Global Circular Plastics Program” to provide a framework to help transform the traditional linear plastics economy, into a fully sustainable circular economy. “The new Center for Circular Plastic Solutions utilizes Evonik’s unique position at the center of different value chains to bring together the key stakeholders from governments, universities, industry, consumers and environmental groups to find end-to-end solutions for new sustainable business models”, said Patrick Glöckner, Head of “Global Circular Plastics Program”.
Another key part of Evonik’s toolbox to grow the circular plastics economy is its broad range of solutions for enhancing the recycling of plastics, these include processing additives for defoaming, wetting, de-inking, de-labeling as well as odor control. Evonik’s additives and processing aids significantly enhance the cost-effectiveness of mechanical recycling and the quality of recyclates - enabling high-quality applications to be produced, supporting Evonik’s ambition to improve the quality of more than 400,000 metric tons of recyclable plastics by 2025.
Evonik will also showcase several other key product solutions from its booth, #B28 in Hall 6 during K 2022, including:
- Dynasylan® SILFIN 301 offers a less energy intensive manufacturing process for halogen free, flame retardant HFFR cable sheathing and water pipes.
- INFINAM® PA, a new sustainable grade of PA-12 powders with significantly reduced CO2 emissions for Powder Bed Fusion 3D printing technologies. TÜV Rheinland has certified the associated life cycle assessments, attesting to an improvement in the company's own carbon footprint of almost 50 percent.
- SIPERNAT® D 17, a high-performance anti-caking and free flow additive that reduces waste and production downtime by coating the individual particles of the polymer powders, granules and plastic additive raw materials to allow free flow, accurate dosing and easy handling.
- SPHERILEX® 30 AB and SPHERILEX® 60 AB antiblocking agents that facilitate film unwinding operations and can significantly improve the handling properties on films during processing and storage.
- TEGOMER® H-Si 6441 P Provide flame protection to high-performance plastics applications such as PA, PBT or TPE, and TEGOMER® H-Si 6441 H improves the flowability of the highly filled plastic compounds used in e-mobility applications.
- TEGO Sorb® additives remove the malodors that are often left in post-consumer recycled materials. With TEGO Sorb® PY 50 PE and TEGO Sorb® PY 50 PP, the odor absorber is pre-dispersed in a polyethylene (PE) or polypropylene (PP) carrier making the products suitable for converters without the need for compounding elements.
- VESTAMID® eCO E40, a new sustainable high-performance plastic that is produced using only renewable energy and is 50 percent based on materials obtained from recycled end-of-life tires saving virgin raw materials and reducing carbon footprint compared to traditional VESTAMID® product by 42 percent.
For more information about Evonik at K 2022, please visit https://corporate.evonik.com/de/evonik-at-k-2022-177187.html and also its Center for Circular Plastics http://evonik.com/circular-plastics
Photo caption: Artist, Marla Wibbelhoff